Friday, December 24, 2010

No Bones About It


Here is a list of things I love:
1. thick socks
2. chai tea
3. not waiting in line
and most importantly,
4. meat.

I have tons of vegetarian friends, and other in-the-process vegetarian friends. Everywhere I turn, someone is talking to me about old or new goals which do or do not exclude meat. Yesterday, my best childhood friend told me she, a meat eater, cried at an intersection beside a chicken truck.
"I'm not going to cut out meat, but don't show me anything on a bone," she said, "I'll cry."

I began thinking about chicken trucks, about bones, about vegetarianism as an act of love. That night, I went to Justin's kitchen: long-time friend, avid baker and vegetarian-in-process. And, just in time for the holidays, he was revamping a favorite holiday appetizer in the South: sausage balls. (Northerner: "What? Meatballs?" No.) I have, of course, already featured sausage balls in another post, but, this is for all my vegetarian pals, or, maybe for myself: not-planning-to-be-a-vegetarian-but-cutting-out-frequent-meat-as-an-act-of-health-and-love.


Vegetarian Sausage Balls
1 lb Gimme Lean Soy Sausage (purchased at Whole Foods)
2 cups Bisquick
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Knead uncooked "sausage", Bisquick, and cheese together into a mixture:

Keep kneading. Because this is "faux-sausage", it will take a bit longer than meaty sausage.
Obligatory shot of Justin, master chef, kneading the dough:
Begin rolling out small spheres, but keep in mind, these will take longer to cook. Cook for approximately 30 minutes on 300. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment